E-mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Data Scientist (September 2018 – Present)
Ameren Corporation -Ameren Innovation Center, UIUC Research Park, Champaign, Illinois, USA
Data Science Lead (August 2015 – September 2018)
Anheuser-Busch INBEV, UIUC Research Park, Champaign, Illinois, USA
- Head a team of data scientists to provide advanced analytics for multiple business divisions including Marketing, IT, Sales, Procurement, Finance, Logistics, and Supply.
- Conduct multidisciplinary projects including social media segmentation, product market ROI, and revenue management models.
- Facilitate hiring and recruitment of PhD and MS interns from multidisciplinary STEM programs.
- Validate data science models, communicate findings, and develop cadence and engagement with management and stakeholders.
- Developed a project portfolio with a value of > $500 million
- Established collaborations with UIUC research faculty in engineering, business, agriculture, economics, and computer science.
- Designed a global workshop to educate management and stakeholders in advanced analytics, including data science terminologies and trends, case studies, and best practices design to improve ABI in-house data science project cycle.
Postdoctoral Researcher, Biological Engineering (2011 to 2015)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – Urbana, Illinois, USA
- Modeled food supply chains to minimize infrastructure costs and increase food security in developing countries (ADM Institute for the Prevention of Postharvest Losses).
- Published 10 scientific papers in refereed journals.
- Received a Superior Paper Award in 2013 for developing a framework to measure the performance of biotechnologies treating air pollutants.
- Identified $6-7 billion of potential supply chain savings using alternative grain storage systems.
- Initiated collaborations between Brazil and U.S. to access agribusiness supply chain big data
|Ph.D. Biosystems Engineering||University of Kentucky: “Ammonia biofiltration and nitrous oxide generation as affected by media moisture content.”||2010|
|M.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering||University of Sao Paulo (USP), Brazil. “Analysis of Kinetics Parameters in the Phenomenon of Reoxygenation and Deoxygenation of Water/”||2003|
|B.S. Civil Engineering||Araraquara School of Civil Engineering, Brazil||2000|
|B.S. Political Science||Sao Paulo State University (UNESP), Brazil||2003|
- Scopus (requires institutional log in) (most accurate source)
- Google Scholar
- Research Gate (publication download)
Ouyang, Y., Nourbakhsh, S. M., Bai, Y., Maia, G. D. N., Rodriguez, L. F. (2015). Grain supply chain network design and logistics planning for reducing post-harvest loss. Biosystems Engineering. DOI: 10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2016.08.011
Maia, G. D. N., Ramirez, B. C., Green, A. R., Rodriguez, L. F., Shike, D. W. & Segers, J. R. (2015). A novel ruminant emission measurement system: commissioning (Part II). Trans. ASABE. 58(6): 1801-1815. DOI: 10.13031/trans.58.10753
Maia, G. D. N., Ramirez, B. C., Green A. R., Rodriguez, L. F., Shike, D. W. & Segers, J. R. (2015). A novel ruminant emission measurement system: design evaluation and description (Part I). Trans. ASABE. Vol. 58(3): 749-762. DOI 10.13031/trans.58.10752
Pereira, D. F., Miyamoto, B. C. B., Maia, G. D. N., Tatiana Sales, G., Magalhães, M. M., & Gates, R. S. (2013). Machine vision to identify broiler breeder behavior. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 99(0), 194–199. doi:10.1016/j.compag.2013.09.012
Segers, J. R., Felix, T. L. Green, A. R. , Maia, G. N. D. , Ramirez, B. C. , and Shike, D. W. (2015). Effect of dietary fat concentration from condensed corn distillers solubles, during the growing phase, on beef cattle performance, carcass traits, digestibility, and ruminal metabolism. Journal of Animal Science. 93(8):3990-4001. DOI: 10.2527/jas.2015-8917.
Ramirez, B. C., Maia, G. D. N., Green, A. R., Rodriguez, L. F., Shike, D. W. & Segers, J. R. (2014). Design and validation of a precision orifice meter for sub-550 liter per minute flow rate applications. Trans. ASABE. 57(6):1865-1872. DOI: 10.13031/trans.57.10754
Maia, G. D. N., G. T. Sales, G. B. Day V, R. S. Gates, and J. L. Taraba. 2012. Characterizing physical properties of gas-phase biofilter media. Trans. ASABE 55(5): 1939-1950. Superior Paper Award in 2013.
Maia, G. D. N., Day V, G. B., Gates, R. S., Taraba, J., & Coyne, M. S. (2012). Moisture effects on greenhouse gases generation in nitrifying gas-phase compost biofilters. Water Research 46 (9), 3023-3031. doi:10.1016/j.watres.2012.03.007
Maia G. D. N., Day V, G. B., Gates, R. S., & Taraba, J. (2011). Ammonia biofiltration and nitrous oxide generation during the start-up of gas-phase compost biofilters. Atmospheric Environment. Vol.46 (12):659-664. doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.10.019
Maia, G. D. N., G. B. Day V, R. S. Gates, and J. L. Taraba. 2011. Biofilter media characterization using water sorption isotherms. Trans. ASABE 54(4): 1445-1451
Burns, R., Xin, H., Gates, R. S., Li, H., Hoff, S., Moody, L., Overhults, and Earnest, J. 2007. Tyson Broiler Ammonia Emission Monitoring Project: Final Report Environmental Protection Agency. Available at: http://www.environmentalintegrity.org/pdf/publications/Bush_admin_tyson_ammonia.pdf
INVITED TALKS & WORKSHOPS
DowDupont Agrochemicals: “Data Science and Advanced Analytics in AgroSciences”, Indiana, Indianapolis, February 2018. Audience: Global Data Science Team
Anheuser-Busch InBev Headquarter: “Advanced Analytics Training for ABI Leaders”, Belgium, Leuven, October 2017. Audience: ABINBEV Upper Management
University of Illinois Business School: “Managing data science teams: Identifying and avoiding common pitfalls in data analytics”, Illinois, Champaign, September 2017. Audience: MBA Students
USDA Fayetteville: “The Future of Biofiltration: Moisture Control and Hybrid Systems”. Presentation for the USDA-ARS at the Poultry Production and Product Safety Research Unit, Arkansas, Fayetteville, April 29, 2013. Audience: USDA Poultry Researchers
University of Illinois Extensions Service: “How Much Moisture Do You Need and How Often? Ask Your Biofilter Media.” Presentation in the Field day for ventilation management and air quality for livestock systems, Savoy, Illinois, October 2012. Audience: Illinois Producers
Maia, G. D. N., A. R. Green, B. C. Ramirez, Y. Sun, J. Segers, D. W. Shike, L. F. Rodriguez, R. Gates. 2013. Overview and Application of a Metabolic Chamber for Quantification of Greenhouse Gas Generation from Enteric Fermentation. Paper No. 131619682, ASABE Intl Mtg. July 24th, Kansas City, MO. St. Joseph MI: ASABE.
Ramirez, B. C., G. D. N. Maia,A. R. Green, D. W. Shike, R. Gates, L. F. Rodriguez. 2013. Design and Validation of a Calibrated Orifice Meter for Sub-500 liters per minute Flow Rate Applications. Paper No. 131618475. ASABE Intl Mtg. July 24th, Kansas City, MO. St. Joseph MI: ASABE.
Sun, Y., G. D. N. Maia, A. R. Green, B. C. Ramirez, L. F. Rodriguez, D. W. Shike, R. Gates. 2013. Sampling Frequency Selection and Diurnal Patterns of Methane Production from Beef Cattle. Paper No. 131619651. ASABE Intl Mtg. July 24th, Kansas City, MO. St. Joseph MI: ASABE.
Liu, L. F. Rodriguez, G. D. N. Maia, A. R. Green, D. W. Shike, B. Lehman, B. C. Ramirez, J. Segers. 2013. Cattle Movement Characterization and Pattern Identification for Modeling Cattle Movement. Paper No. 131620743. ASABE Intl Mtg. July 23rd, Kansas City, MO. St. Joseph MI: ASABE.
Maia, G. D. N., G. T. Sales, G. B. Day V, R. S. Gates, and J. L. Taraba. 2012. Physical Characterization of Gas-phase Biofilter Media. ASABE Intl Mtg. July 29th, Dallas, TX. St. Joseph MI: ASABE.
Norris, H., L. Rodriguez, T. Liu, A. Green, D. Shike, J. Segers, G. D. N. Maia, B. Ramirez, 2012. Impact of Livestock on Soil Characteristics in a Crop-Livestock Agroecosystem.
Liu., L. Rodriguez, A. Green, D. Shike, J. Segers, G. D. N. Maia, B. Ramirez, H. Norris .2012. Assessment of cattle impacts on soil characteristics in integrated crop-livestock systems. Paper No. 121338321. ASABE Intl Mtg. June 20th, Dallas, TX. St. Joseph MI: ASABE.
Maia G. D. N., R. S. Gates, A. R. Green, L. F. Rodriguez, D. W. Shike, G. B. Day V., J. Taraba. 2011. Viability of the infra-red photoacoustic system on the measurement of greenhouse gases and ammonia. Oral presentation number No. 1111821. ASABE Intl Mtg. August 10. Louisville, KY. St. Joseph MI: ASABE.
Maia G. D. N. Effects of Media Moisture on Ammonia Abatement and Nitrous Oxide and Methane. Workshop Proceedings: Carbon Markets – Expanding Opportunities/Valuing Co-benefits. Workshop co-hosted by the Soil & Water Conservation Society and the National Wildlife Federation. On July 21, 2010, St. Louis, Missouri.
Dutra de Melo, L., G. B. Day V, J. L. Taraba, and G. D. N. Maia. 2010. Assessment of a Moisture Application System for Compost Biofilters. Paper No. 1009176. ASABE Intl Mtg. June 20th. Pittsburgh, PA. St. Joseph MI: ASABE.
Maia, G. D. N., G. B. Day V, R. S. Gates, J. L. Taraba, G. T. Sales, N. Lovanh. 2009. Ammonia removal and nitrous oxide production in gas-phase compost biofilters. Submitted for presentation at the Simpósio Internacional sobre Gerenciamento de Residuos de Animais – SIGERA. March 12th & 13th, 2009. Florianópolis – SC, Brazil
Sales, G. T.,G. B. Day V, R. S. Gates, N. Lovanh, G. Del Nero Maia, and A. Singh. 2009. Assessment of Biofilter Media Particle Sizes for Removing Ammonia. Submitted for presentation at the Simpósio Internacional sobre Gerenciamento de Resíduos de Animais – SIGERA. March 12th & 13th, 2009. Florianópolis – SC, Brazil
Maia, G. D. N., R. S. Gates, M. D. Montross, S. E. Nokes, G. Brion, G. B. Day V, J.L. Taraba. 2008. Comparison of water sorption isotherms applied to compost biofilters of different particle sizes. ASABE. St Joseph, MI: ASABE (Paper and oral presentation).
Maia, G. D. N., R. S. Gates, G. B. Day V, S. E. Nokes, J. L. Taraba, G. Brion, G. T. Sales, A. Singh,. 2008. Contaminant gas generation as product of degraded ammonia during biofiltration. ASABE Paper No. 084630, St Joseph, MI : ASABE (Oral presentation and paper).
Sales, G. T., G. B. Day V., S. Gates, N. Lovanh, G. Del Nero Maia, and A. Singh. 2008. Assessment of different media particle sizes for ammonia removal optimization. Paper No. 084201. ASABE Intl Mtg, 30 June – 3 July. St. Joseph, MI : ASABE.
Maia, G. D. N., R. S. Gates, E. G. Wilkerson, S. F. Higgins, A. Singh, J. L. Taraba. 2007. (Presentation). Potential nitrous oxide generation during ammonia biofiltration., St Joseph, MI: ASABE (Oral presentation).
Maia, G. D. N., R.S. Gates, E. G. Wilkerson, S. F. Higgins, A. Singh, J. L. Taraba. 2006. Characterization of headspace gases in ventilated and impermeable swine manure tanks and their abatement using biofiltration. ASABE Paper No. 064027, St Joseph, MI : ASABE (Oral presentation).
GRANTS, FELLOWSHIPS & AWARDS
Funded intramural grants (funded = $92,000)
- Design, implementation, and training for a beef flux-chamber system to quantify methane (Current, Support Grant, Research Board Committee, University of Illinois, $30,000)
- Request for Repair of Existing Equipment (2011, College of ACES Office of Research Equipment Grant, University of Illinois, $25,000)
- Request for midsize equipment (highly ranked proposal), College of ACES Office of Research Equipment Grant, University of Illinois, $37,000)
- ASABE Superior Paper Award (2013):
- Maia, G. D. N., G. T. Sales, G. B. Day V, R. S. Gates, and J. L. Taraba. 2012. Characterizing physical properties of gas-phase biofilter media. Trans. ASABE 55(5): 1939-1950
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES), Full Masters Scholarship funded by internationally recognized Brazilian Government Agency. 03/2001-03/2003. One of the top five students selected for the highly competitive M.S. program in Environmental Engineering at the University of São Paulo, Brazil
Funded extramural grants
Collaboration withR.S. Gates, A. Singh, S.F. Higgins and E.G. Wilkerson. Gaseous production from impermeable swine waste storage tanks and its abatement using biofilters (2007-2009 – $487,000). USDA National Research Initiative Air Quality Program. Approved as Outstanding Grant Proposal.
2012: Project Organizer for international workshop (funding source: FAPESP, Brazil) on Emissions, Ventilation and Animal Welfare in Livestock Systems held in the state of São Paulo, Brazil (October 2-4, 2012). Participating institutions: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, The Pennsylvania State University, Texas A&M, Iowa State University, University of Tennessee, EMBRAPA (Brazil), University of São Paulo (Brazil), UNICAMP (Brazil), Federal University of Viçosa (Brazil), Federal University of Paraná (Brazil), Katholic University of Lueven (Belgium), the French National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA), Polytechnic University of Valencia (Spain), National University of Colombia, and the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science.
2012: University of Illinois Extensions Service(audience: producers) “How Much Moisture Do You Need and How Often? Ask Your Biofilter Media.” Presentation in the Field day for ventilation management and air quality for livestock systems, Savoy, Illinois, October 2012.
2011, 2012, 2013: Volunteer, Engineering Open House, University of Illinois
TEACHING AND MENTORING
- Structures and Environment Design (BAE 427), Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering Department, University of Kentucky, 2006
- Surveying (AEN 103), Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering Department, University of Kentucky, 2005
- Modeling of Environmental Processes for Engineers, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2002
- Aspiring Data Scientists – Bud Analytics Lab – UIUC Research Park. I mentored and guided grad students from CS, Statistics, Math, Engineering, Library Sciences, Accountancy, and MBAs and armed them with business focused communication techniques.
- International faculty: Brazilian Professors Danilo Pereira (ABE Visiting scholar, UNESP, Tupã) and Cecília de Fátima Souza (UK-BAE visiting scholar, Federal University of Viçosa)
- D. students: Tatiana Sales (ABE-UIUC), Liangcheng Yang (ABE-UIUC), Weichao Zheng (ABE Visiting scholar, College of Water Conservancy & Civil Engineering, China Agricultural University), Giselle Borges (ABE Visiting scholar, University of São Paulo, Brazil), Maira Pecegueiro do Amaral (BAE-UK), Thayla Morandi (UNICAMP, Brazil), Jacob Segers (Animal Science, UIUC)
- S. & B.S. students: Brett Ramirez (ABE-UIUC), Yi Sun (TSM-UIUC), Patricia Paulausky (ABE-UIUC), Micah Zehr (ABE-UIUC), Loren Anliker (ABE-UIUC), Kellie Kroscher (Animal Science, UIUC), Lucas Dutra de Melo (BAE-UK), Gabriela Morello (BAE-UK), Igor Lopes (BAE-UK), Tatiana Sales (BAE-UK), Andy Watson (BAE-UK)